Monday, November 9, 2009

Where'd that motivation come from?

Weight: 228lbs. (-2lbs.)

What I ate today:
Breakfast - yogurt, berries, oats & almond parfait
Snack - 1% cottage cheese cup & green grapes
Lunch - Leftover Beef & Veg Stirfry
Snack - 4 slices deli ham & green apple
Supper - yogurt, berries, oats & almond parfait
Snack - Zone protein bar

Workout: Women's Health: Ultimate Fat Burn video

Today was a usual Monday, and I came home very tired and even began to wonder if I could already be falling off the proverbial wagon of working out. At least I had eaten well today, but really didn't think I could match yesterday's nearly 2k run/walk on the treadmill that left me with sore lungs and coughing. I'm not sure what happened exactly that changed my mind. I was daydreaming about joining the local women only gym near my work - I even called for pricing. Then I suddenly found myself getting changed into my workout clothes and looking for my workout video.

That video is quite a kick in the arse! I really did give it all I could, but finished with maybe 5 minutes left. Just couldn't go anymore. But I did get through all the strength training and 1 and 3/4 of the cardio segments. I was *dripping* when I finished. I secretly love that part, looking at the sweat drip off my face and giving myself the "f*c* YA!" look in the mirror. Guess it's not a secret anymore.

My supper wasn't exactly gourmet but I was in the mood for an indulgence - something sweet and creamy. Since there is no icecream in this household I went for the delicious yogurt parfait I had for breakfast which left me wanting more. I love that parfait, it's so delectable and very satisfying. Here's the "recipe":

Yogurt, berry & homemade granola parfait

Mix 1 individual Activia vanilla yogurt cup with 1/2 cup berries (frozen or fresh) and 1/4 cup homemade granola. Enjoy - sooo easy, and sooo good! You can use the fat free Activia or any non-fat yogurt to cut even more fat, but the regular Activia is so creamy! Great alternative for the berries is 1/2 banana with chopped mango (frozen is terrific, I hate cutting up mango).

Homemade low-fat granola:
Preheat oven to 350
2 cups slow cook oats
few dashes of cinnamon & nutmeg
3/4 cups sliced almonds
2 tsp. vanilla extract

Mix in a bowl, then spread mixture on a baking sheet in a single layer. Give a few spritzes of baking spray like Pam over to help granola brown. Put in oven about 5-8 minutes but keep an eye on it. Remove when almonds and granola have browned slightly. Let cool then store in an airtight container in the fridge.

No comments:

Post a Comment